Chandos House was speculatively built between 1769 - 1761 by
Robert Adam, the most prominent architect in Georgian Britain.
For over 130 years Chandos House was home to such notable
residents as the Duke of Chandos, the Duke of Buckingham and
Chandos, the Countess of Strafford, the Earl of Shaftesbury and
finally the newspaper tycoon Sir James Gomer Berry, Viscount
For a period in the 19th century Chandos House was also used as
the Austrian Embassy. The first resident Ambassador was Prince
Esterhazy and for the next 25 years the house was the scene of
entertainment on the most lavish scale. He left the Embassy in 1842
and was succeeded by various Ambassadors until the lease on the
property expired in 1866.
During the Second World War the Grand Staircase had it's ceiling
and skylight bombed out. Thankfully it was convincingly restored
before ownership passed to the Royal Society of Medicine (RSM), who
acquired Chandos House for the first time in 1963.
Chandos House was used by the RSM as a hotel and events venue
for members, until it was sold in 1986 to finance the refurbishment
of the Society's headquarters at 1 Wimpole
Unfortunately the house was then unoccupied and neglected, so
much so that it was placed on the English Heritage Buildings at
Risk list. The Howard de Walden estate saved the house in 2002 by
purchasing the lease, and identifying the RSM as future
Howard de Walden agreed to refurbish Chandos House and to
restore the Adam reception rooms as required by English Heritage.
Finally in 2005 Chandos House reopened after a £5 million
View our Timeline