Do you consent to receiving cookies? We use these to aid in improving and maintaining our website.
Accept

Timeline

1769 Chandos House construction was started by the Adam family, supported with finance from the banker Sir George Colebrooke. The house was built speculatively on land which was part of the Duke of Portland's estate
1771 Chandos House was completed. The House remained unsold and eventually was put up for sale by auctioneers Christies
1774 James Brydges, the third and last Duke of Chandos acquired the lease for £11,000
1815 The unexpired portion of the lease (51 years) was purchased by the Austro-Hungarian Embassy
1815 The resident Ambassador was Prince Esterhazy and for the next twenty five years Chandos House was the scene of entertainment on a most lavish style.
1842 Prince Esterhazy leaves the Embassy
1843 Baron Neuman became Ambassador, followed by Count Dietrichstein (1847-1849), Count Colloredo-Waldsee (1850 and 1852-1856), Count Buol (1851-1852) and Count Apponyi (1856-1866). The Embassy moved before the lease expired
1866 Chandos House was acquired on a 99 year lease by The Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, a descendant through marriage of the third Duke of Chandos. He only lived there for a short time but it remained in the possession of the family until the end of the century
1890 The lease was assigned to William Stephen, Earl Temple, the Duke's nephew
1902 The Earl Temple dies and brought to an end the Chandos connection
1905 Cora, Countess Stafford took over the lease
1924 The Earl of Shaftesbury took over the lease and modernised the property with additional bathrooms and windows.
1927 The tenancy passed to the newspaper tycoon, Sir James Gomer Berry, Viscount Kemsley
1963 The Royal Society of Medicine acquired a 99 year lease for £250,000 and the house underwent restoration and conversion to meet the needs of the RSM. A hotel for Fellows was established in the Chandos House mews to the rear of the property at 10 Duchess Street
1967 The work was completed and Chandos House soon became a favourite rendezvous for the Royal Society of Medicine's Fellows. It additionally provided the RSM with book storage, meeting rooms and offices to rent. The College of Pathologists, The Nutrition Society, The Royal Medico-Psychological Association and Excerpta Medica Foundation all took short leases
1986 Chandos House was sold to help finance the refurbishment of 1 Wimpole Street and acquisition of the adjoining building, the former Western Sorting Office
1990 Chandos was sold to Fairgate Estates but remained unoccupied
1994 The house had been neglected and was eventually placed on the English Heritage Buildings At Risk Register. It continued to be neglected and English Heritage in conjunction with Howard de Walden Estates (the freeholders) served a repairs notice on the leaseholders. This was followed by a compulsory purchase order.
1995 Chandos House was chosen as one of the locations for Ang Lee's film of the Jane Austen novel Sense and Sensibility. This in itself is ironic in that Jane Austen, the worlds most famous romantic novelist, was a relative of the Dukes of Chandos. Jane Austen's grandfather, the Reverend Thomas Leigh was the son of Mary Brydges, sister to James Brydge, the first Duke of Chandos for whom Handel composed the famous Chandos Anthems.
2002 Howard de Walden Estates saved the house by purchasing the lease after identifying the Royal Society of Medicine as future tenants.
2004 After extensive restoration work the house was returned to its former splendour and is now open again for use